Home   |  Contact Us   |  Translate
Marriage Licenses

Marriage License/ Application


The fee for a marriage license is $76.00 payable by cash or money order, bank guarantee card or credit card. If you are purchasing a license at the Justice Courts, only money orders are accepted.


A copy of a divorce decree is not required. No blood test is required. You will be required to provide a government issued photo I.D. such as a driver's license to show proof of age and confirm identity. You will receive your marriage license and can be married on the same day you apply for it. An unused marriage license expires one year from the date of purchase. Both parties must be present to obtain a marriage license.

After the license has been returned and recorded, a certified copy can be mailed to you for an additional $27.50 payable at the time you apply for the license.

For further information, you may call (602) 506-3360 or 506-7400.

Marriage License / Age Requirements

If you are under the age of 18, you must either have a notarized parental Clerk's Office consent form or have your parent(s) accompany you, present the proper identification, and sign the parental consent form in front of the clerk issuing your license.

To print the "consent for marriage of minor," click here

If you are age 16 - 17, a certified copy of your birth certificate and one of the following government issued picture I.D.'s is required: a) current driver's license; b) state or military I.D. card; c) current passport; d) or other government issued picture I.D.

If you are age 15 or under, you must also have a court order. To obtain a court order you must contact Conciliation Court at (602) 506-3296.

Covenant Marriage License / Requirements

Requirements for couples who are getting married

According to legislation (A.R.S. 25-901-906) which became effective Aug. 21, 1998, couples who are planning to apply for a Covenant Marriage License must provide a notarized statement from the clergy or marriage counselor who provided their premarital counseling.
The notarized attestation/statement should confirm that:
  • the parties were advised about the nature and purpose of a covenant marriage;
  • the parties were advised regarding the limited reasons for ending marriage by legal separation or divorce; and
  • the parties were given a copy of the pamphlet, Covenant Marriages in Arizona, published by Arizona Office of the Courts (AOC).

At the Marriage License Office, the engaged couple will be asked to sign a marriage license affidavit and the "Declaration of Intent to Enter Into a Covenant Marriage" which states they met statutory requirements.

Requirements for couples who want to convert their marriage to a covenant marriage

Couples who are already married may convert their existing marriage to a covenant marriage. It does not matter where their license was issued. Solemnization (a wedding ceremony) is not required to accomplish the conversion to a covenant marriage.

The married couple will be required to sign a marriage license affidavit and a "Declaration of Intent to Enter Into a Covenant Marriage" form at the Marriage License Office. The fee to convert a traditional license to a covenant marriage is $27.00.

The cost

The cost for the Covenant License is $76.00, which is the same as the Traditional Marriage License.

To get a copy of the Covenant Marriage in Arizona booklet

The Arizona State Supreme Court has an electronic version of the booklet on their website. To view the booklet, click here and select "Covenant Marriages."

You may also contact a member of the clergy or a marriage counselor.

© 2014  Clerk of the Superior Court, Maricopa County For questions or comments, please visit our Contact page.
Accuracy of translation is not guaranteed